Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Cinderella's year?

Finally! March is here and with that, comes my favorite time of the year. Sure you will hear me say that a lot, however the first 2 rounds of the NCAA tournament actually ARE my favorite sporting event of the year (other then perhaps the Masters but we will get to that in April). Obviously we don't know exactly what the brackets will look like this year, but we do know one thing, there will be no clear favorite to win it all. In fact, this will probably be the shakiest group of no.1 seeds in a very long time. Just a few days removed from the top 3 seeds losing, Syracuse has claimed the top spot for the first time in 20 years. Personally, I still don't think they are that good and I could foresee an early round (3rd or 4th) upset of the Orangemen. Moreover, I dont think that any team is a "Lock" for a Final Four appearance. I would say that Kentucky, despite some of their recent troubles, is still the best team in college basketball.

Below are my Top 3 sleepers, frauds and teams you would not expect to win the tournament, but I believe have a legitimate shot.

Sleepers: In no particular order(5-16 seed who could win at least 2 games)
1. Cornell
2. Xavier
3. Saint Mary's

Frauds: In no particular order (1-4 seed who will not win 2-3 games)
1. Purdue
2. Pittsburgh
3. Duke

Unexpected teams who can win: (any seed 1-16 who have a chance of winning)
1. Ohio State
2. West Virgina
3. Tennessee

No comments:

Post a Comment